Just the word snack makes people happy! Snacks can be those rare treats that you allow yourself or a daily grazing of your favourite healthy treats to help get you through the day.
You can get much needed nutrients from snacking. For instance, 7 almonds can provide not only your daily recommended calcium but there is a connection between almonds and improved cognitive function. Walnuts are high in omega 3 and antioxidants, Cashews are rich in iron and magnesium, Hazelnuts are also high in calcium and vitamins B and E and Pecans, while high in fat are still good for you, contain beta-sitisterol which aids in the relief of enlarged prostate in men. Little Life Box gave a wonderful snack pack with Raw Mixed Nuts by Central Roast that was perfect for your nut snacking needs.
The holidays usually involve lot of snacking - sweets, punches, cakes, bars, pies, things that no one dreams of eating except for the end of year holiday fest! There will be veggie, cheese and fruits platters to be sure, but it is that time of year to break out the marshmallows, the syrups, and the rainbow fruitcakes. You've been good all year after all.
Snacking will also get you through all those holiday dinner parties, and family gatherings, where mingling means quick bites while chatting and cocktails will always require at least a small bite of something. Whether it is a baby carrot or decadent dessert, enjoy every moment of the holidays. Gym memberships are usually at a discount in January!
If you prefer a nut dessert, this Vegan Pecan Pie Bar recipe is divine!
But if you want some cool holiday pizzaz to impress your guests here is a lovely Vegan Frozen Raspberry Cheesecake recipe.
1C Oreo Cookie Crumbs
1/4C Vegan Margerine
1C Vegan Whipped Cream or a small container of Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream
250ml Vegan Cream Cheese
2/3C Icing Sugar
2/3C Raspberry Juice undiluted from a container of frozen raspberries - reserve berries for topping and additional juice for plating
1 tsp Lemon Juice
You will need a spring form pan
- Melt the vegan margarine in a small pot with the Oreo Cookie Crumbs
- Press crumb mixture into the bottom of a spring form pan and put into the freezer
- In a medium bowl mix the cream cheese with the icing sugar, a little at a time until smooth.
- Add the raspberry and lemon juice.
- Fold in the whipping cream or add the slightly melted vegan ice cream of your choice and mix until completely blended.
- Pour the wonderfully pink mixture into the spring form pan, covering the Oreo Crumbs.
- Place in the freezer for several hours. I like to make this in the evening so it is ready the next day.
- To serve, thaw for at least 10 minutes, cut into slices and place each slice on to a dessert dish.
- Add the reserved frozen raspberries to the top of slice, add vegan chocolate syrup, add shaved chocolate or chocolate curls and garnish with mint if you like. I like to use a Mint Chocolate bar for the shavings. Drizzle remaining raspberry juice to the entire presentation and enjoy!