Dates are being used everywhere now to sweeten things up the healthy way. I mean, what a great way to get some natural energy, vitamins and minerals all the while sweetening your favourite desserts and smoothies. You can soak them, chop them or blend them as they give great texture to any dish that requires sugar. I buy my organic Medjool dates in a big container and keep them in the fridge, they can be found in any grocery store. Why organic? Medjool dates are juicier, bigger and sweeter when they are organic, and that’s only 3 reasons why. I’ve got a really sensitive stomach, so eating organic is really important if I don’t want to have inflammation.
To make this recipe you will need a square cake pan (ideally 8×8) and a food processor. I made the mistake of using my Vitamix for this and I guess the mix was too thick or something because my blender is now broken. I don’t know how I will survive. Anyways, back to the recipe. Just remember that the dates are sweet so you might want to add the maple syrup as you go.
This is a gooey, rich and sweet desert that’s oh so yummy and healthy at the same time so if you feel like something sweet in the morning, add a little greek yogourt and voilà!
- 2 cups of Medjool dates, pitted and soaked in lukewarm water for 10 minutes.
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 cup blended almonds (into powder)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
- 100g 70% dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Place plastic wrap in bottom of square cake (8×8) pan. Set aside.
- Add dates, almond butter, almond powder, maple syrup and coconut shreds into food processor and mix until well blended.
- Pour mix into the pan and pat down flat.
- Melt chocolate in sauce pan on stove or in micro-wave until melted. Add coconut oil. Stir and pour over the date mix. Let cool in fridge for 1 hour.
- Cut into squares and enjoy. Store in airtight container.