No need to suffer through a juice cure to Detox this spring!
Here is the perfect twist to help you get the toxins out!
Ardha Matsyendrasana – Half Spinal Twist
- Start in a seated position with the legs extended in front of you.
- Adjust the legs so that you can sit evenly on the sitting bones keeping the back straight.
- Cross one foot over the opposite thigh and place it on the floor outside the knee.
- On the exhale, bring the elbow outside of the opposite knee.
- In this posture, keep in mind that both sitting bones need to touch the ground. The foot of the bended leg also needs to be flat of the floor.
- To increase the twist, bring your gaze above your shoulder.
- If you have trouble keeping the correct alignment while bending both knees, don’t hesitate to keep the leg extended.
- To balance the body, make sure to twist in both directions.
- Hold the posture for 5 long breaths.
- This asana increases the mobility of the hips and the spine.
- Helps to reduce tensions of the back muscles.
- Detoxifies the organs and tissues from toxins by stimulating the circulatory, digestive and lymphatic systems.
- Highly recommended to relieve sciatica.
- Stimulates liver, heart, lungs, kidneys and spleen.
Written by Stéphanie Parent from Yoga Works.