Quinoa is one of those staples that you can add alongside pretty much any dip, mixed with pretty much any ingredient and get a result that is both delicious, filling and nutritious. This is another great recipe from my Mother’s dinner table, not one of British or French Canadian inspiration, but one that she totally made up (she was probably thinking of sitting on terrasse somewhere on an island in the sun).
2 cups Quinoa
- 1 med. yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jar artichokes (oil packed) chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Add quinoa to medium saucepan with 3 cups water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until all water is evaporated and remove from heat.
- Saute onion and peppers until soft, and add minced garlic. Saute for 1 minute more and remove from heat. In large bowl mix quinoa and onion mixture together, adding artichokes, chick peas and fresh herbs. Whisk together dressing ingredients, pour over quinoa mixture and stir.