I’ve been looking forward to sharing this recipe all week! When you’ve got a full schedule, taking the time to cook wholesome meals can be quite daunting. Isn’t it so much easier to just order delivery or walk over to your favourite lunch spot for a burrito? Easier yes, but better for you? No.
When you cook at home, you have full control over your meals and you know exactly what goes into them, which isn’t the case when eating out. Restaurant foods can be made with some pretty nasty ingredients and often way too much butter, oil, sugar and salt. So it’s up to you to buy whole, organic (when possible) ingredients and try to keep the salt to a minimum. Plus, doesn’t it feel good to eat homemade meals and prepare your lunches rather than skipping meals or buying whatever’s easiest? (we see you eyeing that smoked meat baguette sandwich).
This recipe is from Natalia who runs one of our favourite Instagram accounts (@kale.of.a.life). She always posts the most inspiring and delicious looking pictures. It uses the coconut cream by Earth’s Choice from some of our February boxes.
- 1 pack noodles of choice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 box of Coconut Cream by Earth’s Choice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 white onion; chopped
- 1 medium head of brocoli (or bok choy); cut into pieces
- 1 red bell pepper; chopped
- Bunch of dry shiitake mushrooms, soaked and washed according to package
- Harissa paste (to taste; used 2 tbsp)
- Sriracha sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Splash of soy sauce
- Heat olive oil over medium heat on pot. Add onion and cook until translucent. Stir in red pepper and ginger. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, water, coconut cream and shiitake mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Add harissa, salt, pepper, soya sauce and Sriracha sauce to taste.
- Add in the noodles and broccoli. Cook until the noodles are soft and the broccoli a dark green colour. Take off heat and serve.
And that’s it. Dig in!