Do you ever feel torn between wanting to protect your skin from the sun’s rays and not wanting to apply toxic chemicals on your body? Are you confused about what to do? It’s important to take care of ourselves, especially when the sun can be so damaging to our skin and so can the products that we use on it. Doctors recommend that we get outside for some natural vitamin D and some fresh air and that we apply sunscreen, but most of the cream’s that you find at the pharmacy are more harmful than actually getting a little sunburn. Here are a few things you should know.
- Some of the main chemicals used in sunscreens (Oxybenzone and Octinoxate) actually penetrate your skin and have been found in mother’s milk. This means that these breastfeeding babies are ingesting these chemicals.
- Many of these substances are endocrine disruptors, estrogenic and may interfere with thyroid and other hormone processes in the body.
- Sun exposure causes 90% of skin aging.
- We’re supposed to use sunscreen to prevent us from getting skin cancer, but some of these creams can actually cause cancer and other health issues according to The Environmental Working Group (EWG).
- UV rays are dangerous regardless of the protection we use, staying in the shade or wearing hats and clothes if you’re going to spend a few hours out in the sun is your safest bet.
- If we’re using these creams on our kids, who lick their arms and stick their fingers in their mouths, imagine what these chemicals are doing to them?
Bottom line is, wear natural sunscreen at all times when leaving the house and be careful to not spend too much time in the sun for no reason.
In our February box, we introduced you to Goddess Garden (if you didn’t already know about them), they offer a natural alternative to sunscreen without the chemicals. Go on and get outside without the fear, but please don’t sit in the sun and get fried like a piece of bacon.